Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Centered

When you were about 3, I was looking at a painting and saying how pretty it was. You apparently didn't agree. You looked at me and said, "You like it, but I don't." There wasn't any tension in this observation. We didn't have have the same opinion. What struck me was, at 3, you had a strong connection to your own sensibility and didn't need outside confirmation or agreement. At that moment, I heaved a sigh of relief. I would not have to worry that you would be manipulated by someone else's agenda. You are no lemming.

You are quite able to discern your own likes and dislikes. You don't care what others think about it. You aren't influenced by others' input. I have seen you consider input from others when it comes to some decision-making. Or update your opinion based on new data. But you don't change your opinion simply to please someone else. You may compromise on a group decision, but it doesn't mean that your perspective has changed. This is an important source of stregth; you ability to stay centered. I admire it in you every day.

You are named after the Welsh goddess Rhianna. She is tricked into doubting herself and accepting painful punishment. She regains her majesty when she realizes that she should not have doubted herself. You are a living reminder of the power of self-assurance. An inspiration for us all.

No comments: